Can I challenge my speeding ticket?
The majority of speeding prosecutions go unchallenged yet the penalties can be severe, leading to substantial fines, penalty points and even a ban. Don’t leave it to the court to decide. With the help of a qualified and experienced solicitor, you may be able to plead not guilty or plead mitigation and substantially reduce the penalties.
Even if you have been prosecuted it may still possible to appeal the conviction!
Adam Law solicitors have successfully defended all types of speeding ticket offences.
What we can do to help you fight your speeding summons?
- We will present your case before the Court should you wish to instruct us. There is no charge until you instruct us to represent you at Court. Call us now on 0114 256 0111.
- We can evaluate and advise you on the strength of the evidence and provide you with copies.
- We can investigate the merits of potential defences, such as you instructing us you were not the driver.
- We can offer advice to achieve the best possible result in all of the circumstances, such as advising on the possibility of a speed awareness course instead of points.
- Remember you are part of your legal team and you make the decisions, we are there to advise you.
I’ve been issued a speeding ticket, what happens next?
If you’ve been issued with a summons for speeding in most cases the penalty you may face will depend upon several factors;
- How far you exceeded the speed limit
- The table below shows how penalties increase the more you exceed the speed limit.
- How many penalty points you already have
- If your penalty points tot up to12 or more within a 3 year period this can lead to a ban.
- Whether you have taken a speed awareness course in the last 3 years
- Speed awareness courses can be offered to drivers who exceed the speed limit by a small margin, but they aren’t available to drivers who have already taken one in the 3 years leading up to their current offence.
- How long you’ve been a qualified driver
- If you have been a qualiifed driver for less than two years you may receive a ban if you have only 6 points on your license.
What defences are there for a speeding ticket?
There are many possible defences for a speeding summons. These range from very technical matters such as whether the equipment has been used correctly by a qualified officer to other mitigating factors such as whether there was a valid reason for the speeding.
It is essential to consult a legal expert in speeding matters to ensure that you get the very best advice in your case and achieve the best possible result.
Get in touch now for your speeding summons consultation.
Ring us on 0114 256 0111, email us or use the form on the right of this page.
Penalties for Speeding
|20||21-30||Band A fine, 3 points|
|31-40||Band B fine, 4-6 points or disqualification of 7-28 days|
|41-50||Band B fine 6 points or disqualification of 7-56 days|
|30||31-40||Band A fine, 3 points|
|41-50||Band B fine, 4-6 points or disqualification of 7-28 days|
|51-60||Band B fine, 6 points or disqualification of 7 -56 days|
|40||41-55||Band A fine, 3 points|
|56-65||Band B fine, 4-6 points or disqualification of 7-28 days|
|66-75||Band B fine, 6 points or disqualification of 7-56 days|
|50||51-65||Band A fine, 3 points|
|66-75||Band B fine, 4-6 points or disqualification of 7-28 days|
|76-85||Band B fine, 6 points or disqualification of 7-56 days|
|60||61-80||Band A fine, 3 points|
|81-90||Band B fine, 4-6 points or disqualification of 7-28 days|
|91-100||Band B fine, 6 points or disqualification of 7-56 days|
|70||71-90||Band A fine, 3 points|
|91-100||Band B fine, 4-6 points or disqualification of 7-28 days|
|101-110||Band B fine, 6 points or disqualification of 7-56 days|
Band A = 50% net weekly income
Band B = 100% net weekly income
Speeding prosecution facts
- There are many devices the police can use to measure your spend and if you are on a motorway a police officer can form an opinion of your speed which is enough to lead to a conviction?
- The devices used must be calibrated in a certain way and must be used in a certain way at certain places and times. A failure to do so could mean that it is not a valid ticket. For example ‘X’ had a ticket overturned as the officer was allowing children from a local school to use the speed gun device when the speed was recorded.
- The absence of a speed limit sign is not always a defence. For example on roads with street lights if those lights are closer together than 200 yards the road is automatically taken to be a 30 mile per hour zone.
- If you receive 6 points within the first 2 years of driving you could have your licence revoked?